The climax of the 2005 Ashes was viewed by 7.4 million as it was available on terrestrial television. England has hosted 5 Cricket World Cups (1975, 1979, 1983, 1999 and 2019), profitable the 2019 version in a ultimate considered one of many biggest one day internationals ever performed. They hosted the ICC World Twenty20 in 2009, successful this format in 2010 beating rivals Australia in the ultimate.
The flora contains three,354 vascular plant species, of which 2,297 are native and 1,057 have been launched. The island has all kinds of trees, together with native species of birch, beech, ash, hawthorn, elm, oak, yew, pine, cherry and apple. Other trees have been naturalised, launched especially from other elements of Europe (significantly Norway) and North America. Introduced timber embrace several sorts of pine, chestnut, maple, spruce, sycamore and fir, as well as cherry plum and pear bushes. The tallest species are the Douglas firs; two specimens have been recorded measuring sixty five metres or 212 ft.
Darts is a extensively in style sport in England; a professional competitive sport, darts is a standard pub recreation. Phil Taylor is extensively thought to be one of the best darts participant of all time, having received 187 professional tournaments, and a record 16 World Championships.
- From the 1950s into the 1970s there was a substantial amount of conflict in the space.
- A single offshore turbine generates roughly eight million kilowatt-hours of electrical energy a 12 months, which, at Danish rates of energy use, is enough to fulfill the wants of some two thousand homes.
- Christianity is essentially the most broadly practised faith in England, as it has been since the Early Middle Ages, though it was first introduced a lot earlier in Gaelic and Roman instances.
- However, some species, such as the brown rat, purple fox, and introduced grey squirrel, are well tailored to city areas.
- The earlier record was from 1900 to 1910, when round eight million immigrants arrived.
There are additionally a number of introduced species of reptile and amphibian. On the Internet, .uk is the country code high-degree area for the United Kingdom. A .gb top-degree domain was used to a limited extent, but is now obsolete as a result of the domain identify registrar won’t take new registrations. 2011 Census – Population and household estimates for England and Wales, March 2011.
The Fortingall Yew in Perthshire is the oldest tree in Europe. There is a wealth of birdlife, with 619 species recorded, of which 258 breed on the island or stay during winter. Because of its delicate winters for its latitude, Great Britain hosts necessary numbers of many wintering species, particularly waders, ducks, geese and swans.
Other well known chook species embody the golden eagle, gray heron, frequent kingfisher, widespread wood pigeon, house sparrow, European robin, gray partridge, and numerous species of crow, finch, gull, auk, grouse, owl and falcon. There are six species of reptile on the island; three snakes and three lizards together with the legless slowworm.